Our Mission is to improve the health of our patients, their families, and our communities by training empathic, highly-skilled physicians in comprehensive, patient-centered care.
- We work with and care for all people.
- We believe that every person deserves excellent healthcare.
- We practice evidence-based, inter-professional team care.
- We innovate and advocate to improve the health of our communities.
- We create a learning culture of safety, respect, and support.
- We strive to become better physicians through life-long learning.
- Engage and empower patients within collaborative multidisciplinary teams
- Encourage meaningful use of evidence-based medicine and shared decision-making
- Expand our clinical services and training using technology and innovation
- Prepare our residents to meet the ever-changing healthcare needs of our diverse communities
- Build bridges within our communities through education and advocacy across socioeconomic and cultural divides
You have ideals and a unique vision of the family physician you want to become -- competent, compassionate, confident, and ready to serve your patients and their families, in any setting and in any circumstance. Join us on that journey to become that physician.
The Family Medicine Residency Program at UPMC St. Margaret was established in 1971. At the heart of the program is a community hospital that has long recognized the critical importance of family doctors to the patients they serve, in the hospital, the office, and the community. Family medicine is the only residency program based at UPMC St. Margaret. This creates the expectation that our residents play an integral role in the care of patients admitted here, including the intensive care and monitored bed units.
The UPMC-St Margaret Family Medicine Residency Program has been and continues to be nationally recognized for excellence in the education of medical students, residents, and fellows. Our residents and graduates are involved in advocacy, leadership, and teaching at regional and national levels. Our affiliation with the University of Pittsburgh, our teaching agreements with Penn State Hershey and Temple University, and our strong relationships with Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh and Magee Women's Hospital attest to the rigor and strength of clinical training for our residents. The renowned Family Medicine Faculty Development Fellowship and fellowships in Geriatrics and Sports Medicine greatly enhance our residents’ education.
The outpatient experience in our three Family Health Centers is exceptional. The staff at the family health centers in Lawrenceville, Bloomfield-Garfield, and New Kensington take pride in caring for the medically underserved. Our residents serve as the primary family physician for patients and their families within a multidisciplinary team approach. Residents work alongside faculty attendings, psychiatry, social work clinicians, and clinical pharmacists to provide patient-centered care and integrated behavioral health while also addressing social determinants and community health needs.
The faculty of the UPMC-St Margaret Family Medicine Residency Program is devoted to the goal of providing excellent education in a stimulating and supportive environment. Many of our graduates practice locally, admit patients to our hospital, and serve as community preceptors both at our family health centers and in their offices in our “Private Practice Initiative.”
Please explore this website as a virtual visit to the UPMC St. Margaret Family Residency. This is truly a special place for family medicine.