Beginning its second century of service, UPMC St. Margaret is a 250 bed acute care, community and teaching hospital serving residents of Pittsburgh’s northern and eastern suburbs. Its services include: general medicine, general and orthopedic surgery, intensive coronary care, emergency medicine, rheumatology, sports medicine, occupational health, gerontology, rehabilitation, oncology and gynecology.
Situated on a 21 acre campus near Aspinwall, the facilities include a busy outpatient service, a full complement of oncology services, cardiac catherization, diabetes and endocrine center, pain management, mammography, CT and MRI and a 120 seat conference center, just to name a few. Also located on the hospital campus are two medical office buildings with capacity for over 100 physicians. Other UPMC St. Margaret facilities include three Family Health Centers, a rehab center, and the St. Margaret School of Nursing.
UPMC St. Margaret has three well-established, NCQA Level 3 recognized family health centers located in Lawrenceville, Bloomfield-Garfield and New Kensington. Combined, these Family Health Centers provide more than 35,000 visits a year to patients and families, in a comprehensive, collaborative team-based model of family practice care.
In 1997, St. Margaret merged with the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) Health System, combining resources with one of the country’s leading academic medical centers. UPMC St. Margaret remains committed to serving its communities with high quality and compassionate medical care. This partnership with UPMC Health System gives our patients even greater access to leading edge technology and specialty care.
- UPMC St. Margaret was named among the nation's top 100 hospitals and to Consumers Digest’s list of 50 Exceptional U.S. Hospitals.
- Because all of our patient rooms are private and equipped with a computer, our physicians and health professionals can use eRecord to electronically update medical records at the patient's bedside. UPMC St. Margaret is one of the first community hospitals in the region to utilize this advanced technology, and one of the first community hospitals nationally to instill whole hospital computerized physician order entry (CPOE).
- To accommodate the hospital’s growing and progressive surgical service, four new state-of-the-art surgical suites were recently were added enabling our surgeons to perform minimally invasive, robotically assisted procedures.
- UPMC St. Margaret’s pioneering program in arthritis care has spawned the growth of a large orthopedic service which has brought many of the region’s top orthopedic surgeons to our campus, including those who care for various members of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- UPMC St. Margaret has taken a leadership role in providing care for the region’s growing elderly population. On campus, the Geriatric Care Center coordinates inpatient and outpatient assessments, case management, community outreach along with patient education and wellness services. The hospital has developed a network of senior living options including a skilled nursing and rehabilitation center as well as several assisted living and independent retirement residences throughout Southwestern Pennsylvania.