Global Health Area of Concentration
The Global Health AOC is designed to train physician leaders in clinical medicine, teaching and quality improvement in Global Health. Our program provides unique opportunities for residents who want to increase their skills and knowledge in areas of global health, travel medicine and tropical medicine. Participation in the global health AOC is expected to produce physicians with greater clinical diagnostic skills, a willingness to service in underserved communities, greater participation in quality improvement and reducing health disparities, improved communication skills and greater demand among medical students for training in family medicine in Pittsburgh.
A minimum of 6 weeks pre-approved elective time will be spent in the AOC with at least 4 weeks in a setting outside of the USA. International clinical rotations are encouraged and available for two weeks in PGY1 and 4 weeks in each of PGY2 and PGY3. Financial support may be available for GH-AOC participants to defray the cost of international electives. Faculty supervised clinical and research electives are available in Honduras, Haiti and Africa
A pre-approved longitudinal project bust be completed prior to graduation. this may overlap with the required community medicine project, your international clinical elective opportunities, scholarly presentation and global health conference attendance.
Didactic Learning Strategy
Over the course of three years of residency, AOC participants must complete at least twenty-five (25) seminar modules with at least two (2) from each of the following global health domains. As a guideline residents should plan to complete #5 (PGY1), #10 (PGY2) and #10 (PGY3) to remain on track.
- Tropical Medicine and Clinical Skills
- Determinants of Health
- Health Systems
- Human Rights, Ethics, Culture and Diplomacy
- Policy, Governance and Actors
- Measuring Health, Burden of Disease and Program Outcomes
- Environment and Health
These seminars may be selected from:
- Monthly second Wednesday evening FM or Integrated GH Seminar Series
- Weekly residency core competency lecture series
- Family Medicine Global Health Grand Rounds
- Other University of Pittsburgh departments and UPMC residency seminars - schedule may be found at the UPitt Center for Global Health
- Consortium of Universities for Global Health
- USAID Global Health eLearning Center
- INMED International Medicine and Public Healthy Hybrid Course (meets 50% requirements)